Honeymoon Sunday

Though the wedding was perfect and EVERYTHING we wanted it to be (despite the rain), the honeymoon started a little rocky.

Before we get into all the honeymoon stuff, if you haven’t seen our wedding pictures yet (just a preview of them) then you definitely should. Katherine Birkbeck (of Katherine Birkbeck Photography) did an amazing job with our pictures. Here is the link to her blog of our photos. Also, she has a facebook page, so check that out, too.

Here’s a short preview of a few of our favorites.

Some of my bridesmaids seeing me in my dress for the first time.

Pre-Wedding Photo in the Church

The rain stopped just long enough for us to get a few photos outside.

Mom is so proud of this...but I was so thirsty!

Sisters laughing about wedding things.

Groomsmen in the wilderness

Like I said, that’s just a VERY small sample of what she’s put out…and a smaller sample of what we will get, so check out the links above for more.  Also, brides reading this…or future brides reading this…splurge for your wedding pictures. Scrimp on other things. It rained all day of our wedding and without a photographer as good as Katherine, we wouldn’t have gotten pictures half as good as we did. She was a trooper and was just stern enough with our rowdy crowd to make sure we got some good stuff. So, I’ll say it again…splurge on your wedding photographer…and USE KATHERINE!

Anyway, on to the honeymoon stuff…

After our wonderful reception and pyrotechnic exit, we got to the Airport Hilton in fine time thanks to mom, but it quickly went downhill from there. 🙂 Not really, but sort of.

We realized in the unloading area of the hotel that Tanner’s backpack (which included his passport and the flight information) was in the back of April and Mike’s car and they were in it on the way back to Corryton. Yuck!

Fortunately, we were able to get hold of them quickly and they brought us Tanner’s bag and its contents. Such wonderful friends to drive from Corryton to Clinton (for hair and makeup), then back to Corryton (to get the kids) and into Bearden (for the wedding), then downtown for the reception and back out to Corryton (to go home) only to turn around and drive out to Alcoa to deliver our missing backpack and passport to us. Mike and April really are the best!

After we got settled and felt confident we were going to be able to go on our trip, we got a little room service because we didn’t eat much at the reception. Some fruit, crackers, cheese and cookies…pretty good considering how hungry we were.

We got up at 3:45am (not much sleep) and walked to the airport in the freezing rain. Though it was all covered, it was very cold and yucky. Needless to say, we were very happy to be leaving Knoxville with a beach destination in sight!

The flight to Miami was fine. The in-terminal entertainment was pretty good, too, as we watched the stand-by scramble from Miami to New York. It was amazingly entertaining and one guy from the “show” actually got yelled at by another guy at the gate because he was being wildly inappropriate with a young lady. The guy almost beat his @$$. Pretty good close to the show and it left me pining for the next episode as we traveled back through Miami on the way home. We were set to have a pretty long lay over so my odds were good.  🙂


Two Bubbas waiting to board the plane!

We boarded the plane with little problem. We were supposed to maybe get an upgrade to first class, but the flight was crammed so we kept our seats in the VERY.BACK.OF.THE.PLANE, row 28 of 28. The gate lady offered to upgrade us to row 21 or 25, but we said, “No, that’s ok. We’re on our way to St. Kitts…so we’re happy to keep the seats we already have.” She said, “I would be too!” and we boarded the plane.

BUT the smoothness of our honeymoon travel ended there. We got stuck sitting on the runway. During the safety check, the crew came across an issue with one of the tires. The pilot said, “We are having some technical difficulties with one of our tires, so I’m going to have the safety crew come check it out. We should be in the air in less than 30 minutes though.”

An hour later, we were still sitting on the runway and the crew put “The Social Network” on the in-flight monitors and started passing out complimentary ice water. Bleh!

It was not looking good.

About a quarter through the movie, the pilot said, “We’ve almost got the tire on and just have to check it. I’m not sure how long it will take, but I’m not going to guess since I was wrong the first time and don’t want to be held to a departure time. Shouldn’t be long though.”

At 12:15pm, we were still sitting at the gate. We boarded the plane at 9:55a and we were supposed to take off at 10:55a.

At that point, we started flashing back to the Valentine’s Day episode of 30 Rock where Liz and Carol break up over his holding her and other passengers hostage on the plane forever.

As we started bumping up on three hours in the plane at the gate, we started to think they were going to deplane us…the couple that sat beside us had been trying to get to St. Kitts since 5:30pm SATURDAY night and had come from PA through NC and DC. It wasn’t looking great for us and we were beginning to get annoyed.

Instead of deplaning us, they gave us complimentary granola bars…things were really not looking good. Remember, we were at the back of the plane by the bathrooms!

After almost three hours on the runway, we finally got in the air and arrived in St. Kitts about 5:30–two hours later than we had hoped.


The airport St. Kitts...awesome!

Exhausted and hungry, we got through customs, got a cab (driver named Elvis Williams) and went to the hotel.

We checked in and started to unpack and find some place to eat. BUT, the first nights dinner equaled fail for us. It was good, but we were looking for more gross, greasy comfort food than what we got. After our dinner we explored some and found three places we would have rather eaten.

We chalked getting worked by the Marriott up to being so tired and hungry. In the long run though, that first meal really helped us out because we decided to eat off the resort for the rest of the week as often as we could. After dinner, we went back to our room and went to bed looking forward to the rest of our week and to kicking it off at the beach and pool.


Leave a comment

Filed under Family, Friends, Vacations, Wedding

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s